





Module 9 - Scottle, Facebook, Twitter
Ar De La Salle Revesby we decided to explore Scottle about a year ago. It has proved to be an excellent investment and has certainly enabled much greater use of multi-media across the curriculum. The old days of purchasing $100 videos or DVD's are gone and now the correct scene of an appropriate film or powerpoint can be showed and written into the program. We have also invested in Squirk, which is not a free service and is a way of subscribing to a number of multimedia companies who we previously brought videos and resource kits from. Squirk and scottle has also opened up the possibility of converting the current storage area in the library used for DVDs, videos and resource kits into another learning area some time in the future. Using Scottie also avoids the problem of struggling teachers throwing a video on for a period without the necessary work. The use of Scottle has provided significant benefits to the College. For Economics, I found Scootle limited but certainly for Geography and History there are many resources that can be used. As with any multimedia resource, my tip would be to integrate this into the lesson rather than the old mind set of put the video on and hope for the best.
Prior to completing this unit I had joined Facebook because so many people kept talking about this being the main social networking tool. To my surprise, it actually works and I now have reconnected with a few friends that I had lost contact with. Obviously, some discretion is needed about who who accept as a friend as I politely had to decline some offers from some of my students to be their friend. For a few people I found that they rely excessively on Facebook and they want to give an hourly up-date on what they are doing. For me personally, Facebook is a site that I'll occasionally log on to but I won't be doing what some people do who use this as a daily means of conveying their thoughts. Overall, Facebook is probably the most likely way of socially reconnecting with those that you may have lost contact with but a degree of caution about privacy protection and time wastage needs to be made.
With Twitter, I've head alot especially from some of the American based television shows. I've created an account but to date have only one friend which I expect will increase as an invite has gone out - if this invite didn't get to anyone reading this blog just email a message through this blog with your details. Next year I'm moving to St Patrick's College Strathfield and I will be requesting a phone with internet access. It is at this point that I expect to utilise Twitter as realistically logging onto another social network site probably won't occur too frequently. I can see the value of Twitter in terms of short messages and up-date rather than text messaging. Glad I've done this section on Twitter because I've heard so much about it.
The following photos can also be deleted from Blogger. This will remove them from all the posts where they appear. Please check any that you wish to delete.
(It may take up to 24 hours for them to be removed).

No comments:
Post a Comment